So this is the first blog post of many from us here at CrossFit Nottingham, we have plenty in store for you all over the coming weeks, months and even years. Tips, tekkers, goats, AMRAPS, GPP and much more will be topics of discussion.
It’d be all too easy for us to go down the route of explaining that CrossFit is constantly varied, functional movements performed at high intensity. With a basis of functional movements that reflect the best aspects of gymnastics, weightlifting, running, rowing and much more, as these are the core movements of life. Workouts move large loads the long distances. Workouts maximise the amount of work done in the shortest time. We could even tell you that by employing a constantly varied approach to training, functional movements and intensity leads to a dramatic change in fitness level, following on to include equations & physics, Power=Work/Time.
That is before we even talk about the community. Lifelong friends and companions that arises through the hard graft put in week in week out, one of the key components of why CrossFit is so effective. It harnesses the natural camaraderie, competition and fun that cannot be matched by other means.
Whiteboards as scoreboards, running clocks, chalk and creating a broad yet inclusive fitness challenge that not only tests the world’s fittest, but individuals that may be stepping into the fitness world for the first time, or an elderly couple wanting to improve their way of life.
Yeah my brain hurts a little from writing that..
But we’re not going to go down that route today, instead we are going to allow our members, coaches and community to explain what CrossFit is…
- Community, Respect, Opportunity, Support, Strength, Friends, Inspiration,Training.
- Circuit training on steroids.
- Huge fun, maximum effort, never ending challenge, respect, constant support, lifestyle change and amazing people.
- An everyday challenge, bringing small victories and enormous sense of accomplishments each time.
- Learning to get a strong mind as well as a strong body, in a place where there are amazing, beautiful people.
- Facing things that your mind tells you, you can’t do, but doing it anyway.
- Overcoming obstacles you thought weren’t possible.
- Being in an environment where there’s no judging of what you look like. A community with support that is unbelievable, which comes out in every class and competition.
- A fitness program that makes you strong willed, strong minded… and just strong.
- A way of life in order to become your own version of Batman : -)
- CrossFit is doing things you never thought would be possible in an environment where anything seems possible, with people who build you up and make you believe you can do anything you want.
- Everything you hate but learn to love.
- Finding out not just what fitness is, but what being healthy is too.
- An eye opener as to what being “fit” actually means.
- The hour of night you can just forget about any stress of the day and have some fun with your buddy’s.
- CrossFit is every element of fitness combined together in a high energy, supportive, addictive environment.
- Perfect for the anally retentive, the type A personality, the driven and the OCD.
- The drug of my choice.
- CrossFit is a training regime that allows people from all backgrounds to train together; resulting in new experiences, and a body capable of handling those new experiences.
- A true test of a person’s character and an opportunity to reach your potential through virtuosity, hard work and desire to be better.
- CrossFit is family, community and friendships, it’s a place I can go and come away feeling great.
- CrossFit is therapy. It’s that ‘me time’ when all other life stresses and problems disappear and it’s just me against myself.
- It is the time when I can be completely selfish and leave sweaty and exhausted but feeling great.
- CrossFit is the best… 😉
Daine Mitchell – Head Coach CFN
Thank you to all members coaches and CrossFit community for all input towards this first blog post.